Call: 021 712 6177 / 021 712 3472  |  Email: info@rchobbyshop.co.za
Mondays                     13:00 to 17:00
Tuesdays to Fridays   09:00 to 17:00
Saturdays                   09:00 to 14:00
Sundays - Closed
 

Building a Custom RC Hotrod, Paintwork

If you missed the previous installments, check out post 1 and post 2, in the post I will show paint techniques that I used to achieve the rusted look.

I have always believed that "character" is the most important characteristic that a car can have, which probably explains my string of poor choices in the 1:1 vehicles. I have had to, begrudgingly, start driving boring reliable cars now, fortunately RC allows me to still indulge in rattiness.

The first step was to paint the nylon shell in a matte Tamiya's TS-1 from a spray can, this gives a good quality "rust" base.

Using a brush I roughly dabbed a selection of browns on top of the base coat, to achieve a mottled rust effect, these were just artist's acrylics. Acrylic are always nice to work with since they are water soluble, there are no unpleasant chemicals involved.

The next step is where things start to get interesting. I raided the kitchen for coarse rock salt and pounded it into varying size chunks with a pestle and mortar. Using a paint brush I brushed water onto all the areas of the body where I anticipated the worst rust would have formed (my history of dilapidated real cars was helpful here!). When the salt was poured over the body it stuck to the water, where it was allowed to dry.

The top coat was then applied, I chose Tamiya's TS-48, a matte warship grey, sprayed right over the salt.

Once the paint has dried I took a stiff brush to the salty areas, the top coat chipped and flaked to reveal a car that had spent years building up character through a hard life on the road (or a minor apocalypse).

The final step was to take the smallest brush that I could find and add some detail in black acrylic, as a homage to the Mad Max cars that had inspired me.